Rooibos (pronounced “roy-boss”), is also known as red bush tea.
Rooibos is an herbal tea made from the leaves of the rooibos plant in South Africa. It has a natural sweetness and brews a soft red liquor. Here at Blue Mountain Tea Company, we offer both straight rooibos and blends, including both sweet and savory varieties!
As per WebMD, rooibos has more than fifty times the antioxidants than those found in green tea. The health benefits of rooibos tea are abundant and include the following:
- Polyphenols – high anti-inflammatory, antiviral and anti-mutagenic qualities
- No Caffeine – completely caffeine-free (therefore it can be consumed limitlessly)
- Health – shown to help with hypertensive conditions, bone health, cardiovascular health, infant health (colic) and diabetes
- Skin – the alpha hydroxyl acid and zinc it contains are shown to help relieve acne, sunburns and other skin-related conditions
- Allergies – its anti-inflammatory properties are great for treating allergies, eczema and hay fever
To brew, rooibos herbal tea is tolerant of different temperatures and steeping times. It is usually recommended that the tea steeps for five minutes, using boiling water. One frustration with rooibos is that the finely ground, loose tea can seep through infuser baskets. Due to this, owning a quality fine-mesh infuser is imperative – Blue Moutain Tea Company has a variety of infuser options to suit your needs.
Source: FAQs, by Redbush Tea Company. Nutrition information from different sources may vary.